Even though we are all unique (just like everyone else), I do feel that there are some basic concepts that you can apply to make your writing process less painful.
Some things to keep in mind….
- Before you start writing, sit down in a quiet space and clear your mind. Hearing other people’s conversations and sounds are most likely to distract you from the task at hand.
- Do not multitask! Contrary to the belief, us humans cannot multitask, all that your brain is actually doing is flicking from one task to another within seconds. This means that you are in actual fact just doing all the tasks half as good as you would have if you had focused on them individually.
- Decide on your topic. If you need some inspiration, I always find that reading up on random topics and getting different perspectives helps me decide on what I would like to write about!
- Once you have a topic, decide how long your piece will be and gather some main aspects that you would like to discuss.
- Start writing your introduction, by starting at the beginning you can try to direct your thoughts and make your writing more fluid and logical.
- If you feel that you’re getting tired, take a break. Your mind often digests and orders information when you are not actively thinking about something.
- Once you have finished your piece, wait 5 minutes and then read through it to look for mistakes and make the alterations that you feel are necessary.
I hope that these tips have helped you, let me know if you have any thoughts on writing!